Thursday, January 10, 2013

sleepless in seattle?

So I spent Friday touring Seattle. And, needless to say, was a little depressed getting on my flight back to freezing cold Utah to go back to work and start the new semester of classes. Let's start from the top.

Soldier, my brother, just moved to the Seattle, Washington area. He didn't wanna drive up all by himself, so I rode with him (out of the goodness of my heart and not at all out of my selfish desire to see Seattle). I drove a longggg time--definitely made it worth his while to take me along. #KIDDING!! I didn't drive once. I read and wrote and drew and took pictures and instagrammed the whole time. It was deliciously vunderful.

We slept the first night at my grandparents' house in Idaho to break up the drive, and Grandmama gave us a fantastic bag of treats to last us through the next day (and possibly the next year).

In Washington I got to meet up with one of my friends, albeit for like five minutos, which was sooo fun!

What I'm trying to say here, despite my horrible case of verbal incontinence, is that it was kinda the best road trip ever. I didn't have to drive, I got to see friends, and I actually stayed awake to do stuff (like instagram (my aspirations weren't set toooo high)) that I normally would have slept through.

And then.

Seattle.

The place where it rains all the time (ahem, rain is my fave weather). The place where Tom and Meg fell in love. The place where you feel like a strange alien if you're not holding a coffee cup. Aka the place for me.

It was excelente.

I only had a day, so it was really just the Space Needle and Pike Place Market and some random shopping. But ohhhhh so good. It solidified my no-experience-backed desire to live in Seattle one day. I actually have primary research evidence now for why I want to. (Seen below.)

  • ohhhh the friendly people.
  • ohhhh the live music. 
  • ohhhh the street shopping. 
  • ohhhh the fresh markets. 
  • ohhhh the cozy coffeeshops. 
  • need I say more? I think not. 

And now a bit of photo dumpage!

awwww complimentary photo. excuse the terrible hair.
don't worry, i bought a hat to cover that mess up. 


view from the needle. 


I'm kinda a fruit junkie. aka be prepared for lots of fruit photos. 





Yayyyyy for seeing the flying fish. 


Soldier apparently doesn't like gum walls (see photo above right). I have a strange liking for them. 
They're bizarre and random and kinda gross... so why not, right? 

just do it. 
\


once again, excuse the rats' home on my head, i PROMISE i bought a hat to cover it up. 
also excuse the terrible picture with my creepy i'm-gonna-kill-you-all-in-your-sleep look. 
this is the first Starbucks store. ever. i bought a killer coffee cup in commemoration. 


and finally a photo of the elusive hat. i actually bought it in burgundy, not black. just fyi. 
also cutest store ever. 


dear sidewalk, thanks for the... advice?


and there's no better way to end a post than with Marilyn. 


 So. Go take a weekend trip somewhere. Learn something about someone, something, some culture. You won't regret it. I promise.

xoxo,

kj.

p.s. last one for the road:


No comments:

Post a Comment